We had some left over locust branches so it was time to replace a bed in the garden that was outlined with terra cotta tubes. The tubes were randomly falling over, the gopher wire had holes, and we wanted to use the tubes in another space.
First thing is to rake back the wood chips and remove the tubes, I made the bed wider.
For the bottom layer, I used old locust branches from the horse corral because they’d be hidden. This wood never rots and still takes forever to drive thru it for a screw.
The second layer on top is the newer wood with bark still on it. Each end is drilled into a redwood 4×4 measuring about 12″ high. It leaves space to attach the hardware cloth and add another layer if we come across more locust.
Next task is to dig out the soil to add new wire, fill in with composted horse manure, and cover with gorilla fur.
This is another space we are redoing to put terra cotta tubes behind the asparagus bed. It will prevent gophers from digging up the soil that leaches thru the river rock wall, cover the wire, and crawl in. The tubes are all laid out ready to be placed. We used all the tubes from under the deck and from this fruit tree bed.
More changes and improvements!