Best Management Practices for Love Creek Farm
Protect Water Quality
To reduce the impact on local water resources by keeping nitrates out of Love Creek.
Our Efforts Include:
- Composting manure on-site in the Manure Bunker;
- Maintaining Drainage Swale around the corral;
- Changing fence line setbacks and gate locations around Drainage Swale and Manure Bunker;
- Planting shrubs, groundcover, and grasses to slow water run-off;
- Using bedding that easily composts, such as corn-cob (suggestion); http://www.bestcob.com/retail-products/horse-bedding
- Adding roof and gutters to chicken coop to divert rain water into Love Creek.
- Rebuild corral shelter roofs to divert runoff into a water tank to self-water animals.
- Build cement-block, retaining wall along edge of chicken and turkey coop to prevent erosion; drain water into Love Creek without mud or nitrates by using filter fabric and gravel.