The farm has been busy with new projects, finishing projects, thinking about projects, and a blessing of four new chicks!
The generator shed is moving quickly. We were able to use materials laying around, such as 2×4 redwood and tongue and groove fir for the floor. Handyman Tyler plans to start on the siding tomorrow to use up the rest of the fir stored in the garage. I only took the fir as a favor to friends who wanted it gone, so to find a way to use it will free up space in the garage. I’ll prime and paint it this summer.
The horse barn has been a work in progress for awhile. Fred started the siding back in November, and just last week I finally broke down and bought the last 3 windows from Home Depot. All the other windows I got at ReStore (Habitat for Humanity) and craigslist.org so we could build with recycled materials. I could not find 36×36 single hung windows. Now, Fred has the back window trim on, using the recycled wood from the old goat barn roof. The last push is to cut redwood bark siding and do the tops and front entrance.
Next on the project complete check list is the gates for a new arbor we just added. At first, the arbor was super simple with just a plain 2×6 top. Fred suggested we use some redwood bark pieces I had stored, and they were the perfect choice. I bought some solar lights too, then added our metal Love Creek Farm sign. The doors were designed with leftover spindles from the farm fence plus some croquet mallets. Love it!
The most fun is our new mamma hen. This is her second year hatching eggs. I got 6 fertilized eggs from a neighbor, and 4 have hatched so far. The eggs are fertilized by Old English bantams: Frizzle, Silkie, and Polish Silkie. I am very excited to have new babies on the farm! Last year, six hens hatched eggs, so we’ll see what happens this year. One down!