A big December/January project is to finally build the retaining wall next to the chicken coop. The whole hillside was dug out in December 2005 to expand the chicken coop, and retaining wall blocks were purchased used on craigslist.org about 10 years ago. However, we never got around to finishing and hopefully the time is now!
Saturday, November 18: After cleaning off all the thick, wet redwood duff from the roof of the chicken coop, it landed on the hillside and piled up. It took a day to rake and move it all.
Sunday, November 19: It took a day to cut out all the thick roots. I decided to use a reciprocating saw with a strong “branch” cutting blade rather than a chainsaw because of the dirt. I had to dig down to cut and remove the roots in the walkways and along the hillside.
Friday, November 24: I spent about 3.5 hours moving this pile of dirt into various low points in the chicken coop. Now the chickens have fresh soil to scratch. I really enjoy the extra steps and time to “recycle” natural elements that can be used in different locations to solve problems.
The digging will continue…