We are on the countdown, 6 eggs should be hatching around Tuesday (Day 21). I am trying to get a new chicken coop built for them. I had to prioritize and decide what I could realistically get done by myself. The hen house is doable so I decided to build that first to give the chicks a secure, warm space. Then, I can work on the run. We’ll see what happens. I am coated with poison oak and mosquito bites, and complain of a sore back once I actually sit still around 7 or 8pm.
Last week, I focused on digging out the foundation/base frame for the layout. It was not so much fun dragging big beams and leveling them, trying to figure out the sloped hillside. One morning I decide to move half the wood pile around 6:30am before work just to make a dent in the chores.
Progress as of June 4, 2021
Today, Saturday, June 5 was a slow start getting hardware wire and plywood, but also figuring things out. Once I got the first wall up, things went much smoother. At first, I was not sure where and how I wanted to use the salvaged 3x7x15′ redwood beams. Thinking roof rafters. But once I decided, then it went quicker. I also want the hen house roof to slope at a different direction than the run roof. I debated and went back to my original idea. I did get plywood to insulate the roof to keep the chickens warm, and we have left over shingles which I don’t know yet if we will use or buy corrugated metal roofing. The overhang in the front and back will not have plywood so just using metal roofing may be easiest.
It’s very exciting to use up old doors and vintage wavy glass windows that have been stored for about 2 years. I’m happy to spend extra time trying to create a neat, funky design. I have an appointment on Monday to go buy used fence boards down in San Jose for the “siding.”
Tomorrow, a neighbor boy is coming at 11am to work on the farm and earn some summer money. I’m excited to have a helper to do some brush moving, shovel dirt over the wire, move oak limbs, and help clean up the space.